Am I Living The Same Day Over And Over?


I'm not sure what my title means, but it sounds good.

Actually, my pastor brought up that point in his sermon a couple of Sundays ago. He said, "Have I lived 57 years, or have I lived the same year 57 times?"

Well, it got me thinking. What am I doing? Am I just treading water, or am I living my life to it's fullest potential? Unfortunately, I think my hands and feet are all pruny from being in the water so long.

I'm not saying that I have to learn to go skydiving or anything like that, but it would be nice to take the time to lift up my head every now and then and enjoy the moment, instead of always waiting for something better to come along. So I am devising a new plan.

I am going to take a moment each day and take a look around. I'm going to attempt to really see my surroundings and just enjoy. I live across the street from a cow pasture. It smells wonderful this time of year, because there aren't any cows in the field (which means no nasty cow pies) and it's overgrown with honeysuckle vines and blackberry brambles. Delicious. I can watch the lightnin' bugs at night and just listen to the crickets and frogs carrying on. I live in paradise actually.

Anyhow, I'm going to take 60 seconds out of my day to look, take a deep breath, and give thanks to God for blessing me with such a beautiful environment. I may even take those 60 seconds to hug my daughter. I'll set the egg timer and make her let me hug her for the whole minute. I've done it before, and sometimes a hug like that can penetrate her spirit more deeply than spoken "I love you's." I'll just look past all the eye rolling and pay no attention to the whole "Mom you're choking me" thing. Or, I might take that 60 seconds to have a farting contest with my son! We'll laugh 'til we pee on ourselves. Maybe we'll hold DramaQueen hostage until she joins in with us! It's gross, but gas works better with guys than hugs do. Go figure.

Oh man ya'll...life is so good. Let's not miss it! I don't care how bad your circumstances are (I didn't say life is perfect, I said life is good) I challenge you to take one minute out of your day to look up, look around, and give thanks. Even if the only thing you can truly be thankful for is the air you're breathing. I'll bet whatever load you're carrying will be a little lighter.

Try it for the next 7 days. You have nothing to lose except 490 seconds of your life. Do check in with me and let me know how it's going! If you want...share your ideas for 60 second life refreshers...I'd love to hear your ideas.

Comments

Tracie Nall said…
What a great reminder to take time every day and appreciate what is going on. It is so easy to get caught up in life and miss what is happening all around you.
CAROL FROM TEXAS -
YOU ARE SO RIGHT! OUR LIVES DO GET BUSY WITH STUFF THAT MAKES US MISS THE BEAUTY THAT IS AROUND US.
THANKS.
COME VISIT MY SITE: MINISTRY OF MENTORING

Popular Posts