Acceptance Part II

Have any of ya'll ever had publican-itis? (Read the word carefully...it's tricky)

I have. It's a particularly nasty trait that I hate to own up to, but I feel it's important to be transparent.

I have looked down my nose at sinners. There. I said it. Or rather, I typed it.

Yes, I had myself a whoppin case of publican-itis. Everytime I would watch the news and hear about somebody getting busted for drugs, or burglary I would just puff out my chest and say, "Thank you God that I'm not like them." I would then launch into a tirade about how these people should just be locked up and thrown into prison. Or, a more personal favorite, the Their Mama's Shoulda Whooped Their Hind Ends When They Were Little speech. 'Cause, you know, I'm a perfect parent.

Never once did I stop to pray and ask God to help those people. Not. Once.

So, what is it with acceptance exactly? Why are we as Christians so afraid to love?

For me it's because I've been hurt so many times. I remember what it was like being on the outside looking in and I hope to never have to be there again. When I joined my church, it felt so good to finally be loved and accepted that I was afraid that if anyone else came in, there would be no more room for me. But God's lap is so big. It has room for all of His children. Now, when I say children, I don't mean Oprah's version of God's children. Sorry to have to burst her bubble, but God's children truly are limited to those who have trusted in Jesus Christ for their salvation.

But here lately, it seems as if the church is constantly trying to separate itself from the "unsaved." Is that wise? Is that what we're supposed to do? Are we afraid that if we *gasp* allow ourselves to love sinners that we will be sullied with their sin? Do we really think that God is that stupid? I think that the church really needs to study the difference between "acceptance" and "justification."

I can accept a sinner. I am one myself. But I will not justify their actions.

Jesus likes me. He loves me. The Maker of the Universe loves me, a goofed-up, disorganized, overweight slob. Know what? He loves you too. If He loves you, I figure I can love you too.

'Nuff said.

Comments

Jeana said…
Oh I've known people with publican-itis. Thank god I'M not like that.

Oops...
heidi @ ggip said…
Hi again. Good point. Especially about praying for those you see on the news. This is something I think a lot of us struggle with: Is there a balance between showing God's Grace and making known God's moral laws.

It's a tough one, and I haven't figured it all out yet.

Thanks for your post.
Grafted Branch said…
Good post. I was waiting though, to read what epiphany turned you from your publican ways?! :)

That's always my favorite part of a good testimony. I remember vividly as a new believer, turning to my Uncle and asking him about some horrific story on the news, "How can people be so brutal? What is WRONG with people?"

He meekly responded, "The same thing that's wrong with you and me."

Yeah.

I respectfully disagree with the church issue though. I read and strongly believe that the Church is for believers. In Acts, thousands were baptized and THEN added to Church.

Later (and a few times) in the New Testament, we are cautioned that there is no fellowship between darkness and Light.

BUT! I am equally committed to the charge that Jesus gave us to GO OUT and preach the Gospel. Our high and sometimes difficult calling is to tell everybody about Jesus so that they will receive Him...and join us at the church (small "c") building where the Church (capital "C") assembles to be built up in the faith.

Was that too long? Sorry. Just surfing through...
Kari said…
Oh, wow.

What a post, Shayne.

Yeah, I think I am familiar with that concept.

*Sigh*
Shalee said…
I think that word was coined after me, unfortunately. I have the disease too.

But praise God, there is a cure for it! I'm taking my daily dose of scripture reading, prayers for awareness of the it and strength from God to heal me through it - with full knowledge that though it may take a while to rid my heart of it, God will see me through to the other side.

And your conclusion pretty much sums up the love of Christ in a nutshell.
CereneOne said…
Very nice.

RYC on EM's blog: I made a Husband's Cake that called for tomato soup. It was very good!
Anonymous said…
I love listening to the radio when I travel down south. They seemed to fit in, "keep them in your prayers" when reporting about someone's loss or injury.

Your post hit home, big time. I always pray when I hear of something going wrong, a car accident, etc., but never like you posted about.

Great post!
truevyne said…
I have come to the conclusion when I fool myself with "I would never do THAT!" that God answers, "That's right, my dear. You sin in a completely different way, and it doesn't look a thing like that. Now let's take a look at that log in your own eye together..."
Shayne said…
Jeana...you so funny girl.

Heidi...I haven't figured it out either.

Grafted...Did I say I had gotten over them? Hmm...I need to edit my post.

Kari...as usual it's a pleasure to have you here.

Shalee...girlfriend thanks again for being brave enough to let me know I'm not the only one.

Tammy....thanks for clearing that up for me, I was corn-fused.

Theresa...anytime you wanna come down below the Mason Dixon where all the *ahem* righteous people live...look me up.

truevyne...honey you get me every time. I visited you yesterday...good post.
Cheryl said…
Yep, I know I've caught myself doing that as well. May we always view people through God's eyes!
Jeana said…
Congrats on your Share the Love award nomination!
Shayne said…
Jeana,

I got a share the love nomination?

Wow.
Anonymous said…
good post - good to make us think!

i agree - it is about finding the balance... but then is that a human way of thinking - what does God do and say????

i always thank God for when i got saved the people that accepted me - despite my rough edges... i pray often that God will continue to use me to help those who may seem "hard or unlovable" to be drawn to Him. i want to be like Jesus to them. i am sure he would love anyone... my model is the woman at the well, and i try to think the old WWJD in my own life...

great blog...

blessings,
claire

Popular Posts