On Acceptance

May I share something with you today? I know I tend to go on and on about things God shares with me, but they excite me. When I finally "get" something it, well, it turns me on so to speak.

Acceptance is a big deal for me. I won't bore you with the details of my childhood, but let's just say that middle school was not a good time for me. Consequently, my beliefs and feelings about myself were so completely scarred that I'm still dealing with the effects of it today. Over 20 years later.

But today I hit a realization. A "revelation" if you will. Jesus accepts everybody. Warts and all. Now before you slap yourself in the forehead and say, "I coulda had a V8. Is that all you're worked up over???" just hear me out a little more. I already knew that Jesus loved me. I knew He died for me. But there's a slight shade of variance between acceptance and love. I can't completely explain it, but there is. For me, love means that God had compassion for me in my pitiful state and gave Himself up for me. Acceptance means He likes me. He likes me.

Now all of you devout and learned theologians are going to start squirming at this, and it's OK, but guess what else I think. I think God likes everybody. Even the sinners.

Pick yourselves up off the floor. You look outlandish sitting down there with that look on your faces.

Perhaps I should clarify the statement a tad. I didn't say that God likes sin. I said God likes the sinners. Loves them in fact. (We already went throught the love/like thing but I still thought I'd remind ya'll of that)

So.

What does this mean for me? Well, actually it's liberating if you want to know the truth. Now, if Jesus loves/accepts everybody, especially sinners, how am I supposed to feel about them? More importantly, how am I supposed to act toward them?

Let me put it this way. Why does the church continually expect sinners to behave like they're saved before we'll love them? Why would we expect them to stop sinning before they know anything about Jesus' love/acceptance? I have my thoughts on that, but I need to flesh them out a bit more before I post. So look for part 2 on this Monday. I'm takin' the weekend off.

Isn't Jesus the greatest ever?

Romans 5:8 (New American Standard Bible)

8But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Comments

Jeana said…
Amen, siter! Why indeed? That's one of my biggest pet peeves in the church today--believers rejecting non-believers for not acting like Christians, instead of loving them so they might want to BE Christians.
Unknown said…
Please DO keep sharing the stuff that God gives you. That's the most exciting part of my day when God gives me something new and I have to just share it. I end up blogging about it even though others may not be nearly excited (or sometimes shocked) as I am.

I LOVE the thought that Jesus likes me. Right now. Not for who I MIGHT become someday. Right now. That's HUGE!! Thank you for putting it out there for me to remember again!
Anonymous said…
This was wonderful. Reminds me a lot of what Kari over at Healed Waters was talking about yesterday. Great points and very true.
Bttrfly1976 said…
ok, I know it's off the subject, but I just read your book list over on the side. Redeeming Love is my favorite book in the world. I have read it four times and cry like a baby each time. I even gave it to my mother to read, she finished it in two days. Great Book!!!
Shalee said…
We've been on the same wavelength lately... Scary, but good.
Shayne said…
Shalee,

So....what are you trying to say? *grin*

Stephanie....where ya been?

Connie, Lundie & Heather...thanks for the encouragement. I truly appreciate it.
heidi @ ggip said…
Hi. I got here through Everyday Mommy. I like this post. It is edgy, enough to make you uncomfortable. But uncomfortable enough to make you think about if you really even try to love others as Jesus loves us.

Thanks.
Anonymous said…
esus is awesome!
Anonymous said…
ooopsss - JESUS is awesome! missed on the j there...

dou!

Popular Posts