The Sisterhood Part I

I had never seen her before, but I knew of her. I had heard her story, along with countless others, from a very dear friend of mine who works with Teen Challenge of East Tennessee. Suddenly, as I pulled up to park in front of the counseling center, she was there on the sidewalk just a little bit ahead of me. She looked directly into my eyes and I felt my heart break. She didn't have to say a word, I already knew her name. I knew the Lord was tugging at my heart to stop for a moment and speak with her, but I was too busy. I had my daughter with me and I had things to do.

So did she.

As I watched, a run-down, filthy pick-up truck drove up beside us, slowed down, stopped...and took her away. I wondered if the john would have the decency to take her some place private. Probably not.

I stole a quick glance at my daughter. Her eyes were wide open with shock. She knew what had just happened. She's almost 14 and has worked with me before, waiting tables at Teen Challenge banquets, parking cars during the fair to raise money. She knows who these women are. What she doesn't know is that she had just come face to face with the woman her mother almost became.

As I write this, I shudder at the thought of how close I was. I don't just know of this woman, I know this woman. We are members of an ancient sisterhood, she and I. One forged out of betrayal and shattered trust. I know her reasons and am well acquainted with her demons. I just wish I had had the guts and the grace to stop for just a moment to talk with her about Jesus. I could have shown her my decoder pin proving my status as an alumnus and I could have extended to her the same Grace that was extended to me. She might have taken me up on it, she might not, but at least it would have been something. It...would...have...been...something.

Instead, I took my daughter's hand and as we crossed the street, I gave thanks. Because no matter how many years have passed and no matter how far I've come, I know that it is still God's grace that gently yet firmly upholds me...keeping me from sinking into the depths. I also breathed a prayer for forgiveness, for another shot, for God's grace to cover me once more.

God save that girl, and save me from apathy.

Comments

Bttrfly1976 said…
That was a really sad story, Shayne. I hope for a happy ending one day.
Shalee said…
I can only pray that one day there will be no sisterhood as such. Such honesty is to be appreciated, Shayne. Thank you for opening your heart and your past to us. That takes courage, my sweet friend.

I thank God that His grace extends to me too, no matter what my past was or how I fail His promptings now.
Anonymous said…
Thoughts from Robin
Teen Challenge is in the process of forming a new sisterhood, & in time a believe you will be part of shaping that sisterhood. Our God is the God of new Mercies everyday. Sometimes we need to pick our word and battles very carefully & sometomes action speaks louder then words.

That could have been a divine appointment, not for you to speak, but for you daughter to see first hand where wrong turns & choices can lead.
Theresa said…
Wow, amazing! I have such a respect and awe for anyone that has been forced to hit bottom like that and gotten up again. You are an awesome woman.
Shayne said…
Theresa,

All the credit for getting up goes to God. I didn't have a whole lot to do with it.
Anonymous said…
Thank you for sharing your struggle about whether to speak or not. I know I've had that struggle at times myself. But even though we may fail, our prayers for those we wanted to reach soar to a God who hears and ACTS. May you get to see your prayers answered one day for this young girl. After learning that I had grown up in the Bronx, a southern gentleman (where I now live) remarked, "well, a tough Bronx girl." I just smiled but thought of how wonderful God is to transform a once, rebellious, tough Bronx chick. My tears flow so easily now with a good sermon, a good praise song, or a story like the one you wrote. Tought bronx girl? not any more. thanks
Anonymous said…
Thank you VERY much for sharing this. You are not alone. I came upon two such girls about 1 1/2 years ago. I knew they were there, but didn't expect to run into them. All of a sudden, they were right in my line of view. And what did I do? Nothing. What did I say? Nothing. I was shocked and scared and more broken-hearted than I ever imagined I would be upon seeing them. I ran to my car and cried. I cried for them because I knew what they were all about, I knew what they were running from. But I also cried because "I" stood in the way of telling them about the Only Love that will always be faithful. The True Vine that gives life.

I have far to go. Thank the Lord He teaches us lessons over and over. I know I will meet them again. This time I will be prepared. This time I will not speak, I will not run away and cry. I will open my mouth but the love of the Lord will be there for them.

Thank you, again, for sharing.

His,
Mrs. U
Anonymous said…
Hi,

I really appreciate your post. The world is full of so many hardships. Sensitivity for other's plights is something I am learning these days. Your post gives me a much needed reminder that while the future looks bleak, there are second chances. If you got a second chance maybe this girl will. Maybe my students will too.

For some reason blogger isn't letting me post with my blogger display name.
http://mycrayonbox.blogspot.com/
Kari said…
Wow, Shayne, such a powerful post. And much to think about...

You may not post often, but your quality more than makes up for quantity!

In Christ alone,
Kari at www.HealedWaters.com
Anonymous said…
Very moving post.

http://z6.invisionfree.com/denominations
Pauline said…
have only just "discovered" your blog (i LIKE it) and i was wondering if i might be so bold as to make one observation- i may be WAAAAAAAYYYYY off base but thought i would give it a go?
you know how you were saying that you were feeling frustrated (that post) and that you prayed for passion and joy in Him. i was wondering if maybe your most recent post was an answer to prayer? in the sense that we often become much more passionate about God when we NEED him. so maybe that woman you saw was being used by God to revive your passion to call on Him in His refinement of you? perhaps this is TOTALLY ridiculous but i truly believe that God DOES work all things for good.
anyway hope i havent upset you with my comment that certainly wasnt my intention just purely an obsevation from someone who truly doesnt know you but looking forward to as i think your blog is marvellous!
much love pauline in au

Popular Posts