An Eventful Day

Two very monumental events happened yesterday. I'm surprised that the earth did not stop spinning on it's axis to mark the occasion.

FIRST: My son, my youngest, my baby, entered into...dare I say it...MIDDLE SCHOOL!!!!! Cue: Twilight Zone music.

Now, I handled Kindergarten just fine. I was brave and DID NOT CRY. I did well with Intermediate School, but MIDDLE SCHOOL?!? Cue: Twilight Zone Music. On the outside, my face was calm and reassuring as I dropped him off. But as soon as the car door slammed shut it took all I had to restrain myself from screaming, "No...get back here! You're too young to be sacrificed to those hoodlums!" (Cause, you know, my son is perfect...it's everyone else that's crazed)

In fact, all that escaped me was a strangled "Eep!" Once more, his face, still showing traces of the baby he had been looked into mine. He grinned, waved, and then he was gone. Lost in a sea of pre-pubescent angst and pimple cream. And I was left wondering where the time has gone.

SECOND: (and on a much happier note) My blog was spotlighted by Kari, a blogger at Christian Women Online. Thanks Kari for the wonderful post! (I promise, my head only swelled up the teensiest bit...like...twice it's normal size) If you'd like to read what she wrote...go here.

As I said before folks, it was a monumental day.

Sidenote: Fuddman survived his first day at Middle School. So far, I haven't had to answer any strange questions or worse, re-direct him to his father for information, however, I will keep you posted as the year progresses. Pray. For. Me.

Comments

Shalee said…
Oh, I'm feeling your pain. My daughter is starting middle school next year and I'm not ready for it. She was a cute tot just a second ago... Now, even though she is not caught up in fashion or brand names, I know the influence is not far when she enters that arena. (As we live in one of the most affluent counties in America (in which we really don't belong due to lack of money on our part), it won't be long before she notices the difference. We are praying heartily that God will help her to keep a good perspective as we teach her values.

Congrats on the nod. I'm off to read all about it now...
Anonymous said…
Hi,

Just stopped in for the first time and was delighted to read about your middle schooler. I too dropped off my daughter with trepidation. I hope to stop in again soon. Perhaps I could add your site to my blogroll? Let me know. Lynn
Just Me said…
Hey there....amazing what this time of the year does to all us 'moms', eh?? My oldest is 27 ( and a pastor now)..and my youngest is just turned 13 - but every year I remember what it was like to send them off to school ( sniffle), then middle school ( gulp!), then high school (bigger gulp!)..and now univercity/bible school! it just never seems to end - we are always preparing them to go 'out there'! Anywyas..if it's any encouragement, what I used to do, is have a few other moms over...and we'd 'celebrate' the end of summer and back into a routine...AND we'd all gather to pray for the kids and the new school year. That was always the highlight of September for me - those gatherings of giggles, tears..and eventually lots of prayer for each other, and the kids!
Connie said…
Hi Shayne, found my way over from the comments on everyday mommy... thank you for your comments there. I'll be a regular visitor to your blog I think :)

This year I've got a 1st grader, a 4th grader, a 9th grader and a senior about to graduate high school. I've also got a 21 year old and I'm not even sure how that's possible because just yesterday she was 8.

Popular Posts